When a tenant pays their security deposit, it is important that any costs such as damages, additional cleaning of the property, or unpaid rent are deducted and the remaining deposit is returned to the tenant. Properly logging this security deposit ensures that all records in your accounting are reported.
How to record a security deposit refund
- Click on Accounting in the left menu
- Click on the Transactions tab
- Click Add and select Security Refund
- Fill in the required fields
- Click SaveNote: In order for a security deposit refund to be created, there are a couple of parameters that must be met: a lease must already be created with the tenant listed on it, and the security deposit transaction must exist in your accounting and be marked as paid.
Once the security refund transaction has been created, be sure to mark it as paid once the refund has been given! If you need help on manually recording payments, check out this article.
Still have questions?
Open the Support conversation icon on the lower right corner and ask us anything.